On Saturday the rain fell heavy and the sound of a courier van on the drive-way was greeted with great excitement. Sophie ran to the door to collect a parcel addressed to her, proudly saying, ‘It’s for me, see, it says S O P H I E!’ Inside was the cooking set she’d won from the ‘Persil Kiwi Kids Have a Go in the Kitchen‘ competition (and a box of washing powder, which was quickly passed to the washer woman of the house – aka Mummy).
She quickly donned her apron and set to work on making some biscuits…
1. Sift 350g plain flour into a bowl and then added 2 teaspoons of ground ginger and 1 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda.
2. Cut 100g butter into chunks and add to the bowl. Stir until it is coated with flour and then rub the butter into the flour with your fingers until the mixture is like fine breadcrumbs.
3. Stir in 175g soft light brown sugar.
4. Break 1 medium egg into a small bowl.
5. Add 4 tablespoons of golden syrup. Beat them together well.
6. Stir the mixture into the flour and mix everything together until you make a dough. Then, sprinkle a clean work surface with flour and put the dough onto it. Work the dough till is is smooth and roll out until it is 5mm thick.
7. Cut out shapes and place on baking tray.
7. Bake the biscuits for 12-15 minutes. Carefully lift them out of the oven and leave them on the baking tray for five minutes.
8. Put the biscuits onto a wire rack to cool.
Decorate as you like. These will keep for 5 days, placed in a single layer, in an airtight container. Yummy 🙂